Mobility Chairs: The Characteristics of Electric Mobility Chairs
1) Easy Steering
Unlike electric mobility scooters, which are operated with bicycle-like handlebars, mobility chairs are steered by simple joysticks. These joysticks require only the lightest of touches to control, and very little arm extension. This means that even users with heavily restricted range of motion can enjoy mobility chairs without assistance. For many mobility chair users, this translates into a significant increase in freedom of movement.
2) Excellent Indoor Use
Some mobility chairs can be driven outdoors, but where they really shine is inside the home. The tight turning radiuses of mobility chairs make them ideal for getting around tight indoor spaces. This makes mobility chairs an excellent choice for users that need help getting from room to room, or performing daily activities. Mobility chairs’ relatively compact size also means they’re easier to store indoors than their larger cousin, the mobility scooter.
3) Long Battery Life
A mobility chair’s battery life depends on the age of its battery and how frequently it’s being driven. But in general, most mobility chairs enjoy a battery life of between 11 and 20 miles per full charge. For most clients, this is more than enough time to get them where they need to go. A few mobility chairs can also have their standard batteries replaced with even longer lasting versions; so even clients that love extended trips can drive without worrying about battery life!
4) Customizable to Fit Your Lifestyle
Mobility chair users all have different needs, so being able to customize your mobility aid only makes sense. Mobility chairs can be customized to carry medical equipment, manual mobility aids, and more. Many can also be painted in a range of exciting colors and have luxury Captain’s seats installed. Whatever your mobility chair needs to give you the ultimate ride, chances are there’s a customization for it. For many clients, the ability to personalize is what takes many mobility chairs from ordinary to extraordinary!
5) Medicare and Insurance Reimbursements
One of the biggest benefits associated with mobility chairs is Medicare and insurance reimbursements. Because mobility chairs can be so vital to active lifestyles, Medicare may pay for up to 80% of the initial costs. For many clients, private insurance can help pay the remaining 20% of fees. The availability of services that help pay for mobility chairs is truly a benefit that stands out to many users!
If you think a mobility chair might be right for you, get in touch with a reputable mobility retailer today. They’ll be able to answer any questions you have, as well as help determine if a mobility chair is the right solution for you. If you do decide to get a mobility chair, top retailers will even help you file for insurance and Medicare benefits!